Design is the foundation of every object we interact with as humans. Think about the design of the chair you are sitting on, the computer you are working on, the products you love to buy. What do they look like? How do they make you feel? Graphic Design is crucial in the technical world and will be an important piece of any pathway you choose to explore. This badge asserts that the earner has a basic understanding of graphic design and has demonstrated their ability to finish a design project.
Estimated Time: 28 hours. This includes the time to learn the skills and complete the project.
Here are the requirements for the Graphic Design badge. You will need to be able to describe to a program specialist the different skills and how they were used in your project.
- Know the difference between vector images and bitmaps.
- Know the file types of vectors.
- Know the file types of bitmaps.
- What does the marquee tool do?
- What does the crop tool do?
- What does the pen tool do?
- What is a stroke?
- What is a path?
- What is a node?
- What are handles?
- What is fill?
- What is Opacity?
- What is Transparency/Alpha?
- What is CMYK?
- What is RGB?
- What is Hex Color?
You will need to create a final project that uses the skills below. Additionally, you will need to be able to describe the skills to a Program Specialist and explain how they were used in your project.
- Create a character for a video game.
- Create a background or other assets for a video game.
- Create a business card.
- Create a logo for a yourself or your company. (Feel free to make up your own company!)
- Create custom letterhead.
- Your own idea- subject to approval.
Once the project is complete, the next step is to submit an application for review. In this, you’ll need to submit a description of the project and an explanation of how you’ve used the required skills. Additionally, you’ll need to submit a link to your completed portfolio entry for the project.
One of the fields on the application asks for you to submit the link to your project webpage that includes photos and a description. There are lots of free web portfolio resources. Here are some web portfolio resources for hosting your project:
- WordPress.com: WordPress.com is a free blogging platform where you can host a portfolio page for your projects. If you’re working on the digitalharbor.org/wordpress-skill-badge, this would be a good way to practice your skills.
- Weebly: Weebly is another resource that you can use to host a portfolio page for your project. There are paid plans available, but the free plan would be more than enough to host your badge project.
- Tackk: Tackk is another free resource to build out a quick portfolio entry. Tackk has added a lot of social media streams and content, so if you’re using this make sure to monitor this aspect.
If you’re unable to create a webpage for your submission, you can create a Google Document and place your writeup and images in that document. You can then submit the URL for that.
There are several excellent Graphic Design resources out there, including entire YouTube playlists dedicated to specific skills. Here are some to get you started:
- Inkscape Download: Inkscape is a free vector-based graphic design tool. The skills you’ll develop using Inkscape can prepare you for future vector design on software like Adobe Illustrator. It runs on Windows and Mac. If you’re running it on a Mac, there are some additional download steps. If you’re having trouble, check out this video:
- GIMP Download: GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free image editor similar to Adobe Photoshop. It runs on Windows and Mac. Gimp is a great tool for creating pixel art for video games.
- Gimp Tutorials: This is a group of tutorials provided by the Gimp team.
The Next Steps:
These are resources that are helpful once you begin a project.
Ask Us a Question
If you’re working on the badges and you find that you’re stuck, please feel free to email us for some guidance!
Email Link: Send Email
If you’re having any difficulties with the above email link, here is a link to the DHF Contact page.
Contact Link: Contact Us