DHF’s 3D Printing Field Trip is a school-day opportunity for students in the Greater Baltimore area to learn more about 3D printing technology, the DHF Tech Center, and our year-round programs for youth.
During this high quality, hands-on field trip experience, youth learn how to use 3D design software to design and 3D print a personalized object. Additionally, an interactive presentation is delivered that covers the uses of 3D printers in a variety of industries, how they work, and the design-to-print workflow.
Our 3D Printing Field Trip is designed to introduce youth to 3D printing technology, as well as to make the technology more concrete and accessible for them – all youth make a 3D printed keychain to take home with them as part of the trip. The field trips are a 2-hour experience, designed to not only expose youth to 3D printing, but also to give them a beginner 3D design experience.
- Introduction to core concepts of 3D printing and digital design
- Learn the difference between 2D and 3D design
- Understand the main parts of a 3D printer and how these machines work
- Identify different types of manufacturing
- Understand how 3D printing is used in a variety of industries and applications
- Hands-on experience with a beginner 3D design software
These are all the important details about the structure of our field trip experience.
- Length of trip: 2 hours
- Minimum number of youth: 10
- Maximum number of youth: 30
- Grades: 5 – 12
- FREE for Baltimore City Public Schools
- Non-Baltimore City Public Schools: Minimum donation of $15/participant
- Available Days of Week: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
- Annual Timeframe: October – May
Field Trip Preparation Guide
Before scheduling your field trip, please review our Field Trip Preparation Guide that includes all of the information you need to know about scheduling and trip with us and what to expect.
Schedule Your Field Trip
- Select an available date and time and complete the form to submit your request using the scheduler below.
- Please note: Only ONE (1) field trip can be scheduled per day
- We will confirm your request and you will receive a Booking Confirmation from our scheduler that includes a calendar invite.
- One week prior to your scheduled trip, you will receive a confirmation email from us that will require a response from you confirming you still plan to attend.